fredag 27 mars 2009

I dream of the summer heat.

I think of a city in summer heat
where I ran along the canal
trying to catch the sun playing
in the water and in your hair
your sunglasses glistened as you stood on tiptoe
planting a kiss on my cheek
and we laughed at our love-drunk silliness
and we laughed at life and danced along
the canal in the summer heat

I think of a summer night, a night in the city
where I sat on the grass by the river in the park
looking at the stars and feeling the breeze
as you handed me a beer and told me
“I like my girls silly”
and we laughed
at our drunkness and our silliness
and we laughed at life and smiled along
with the summer night stars in the river

I think of a summer of freedom
when we traveled from festival to festival
living in tents and living it rough
sex at the beach and by the grill at night
laughing at all the crazy things we'd done
and laughing for no reason at all
As I looked out from the stage,
I saw you in the crowd as you mouthed
“Baby, stop dreaming,
I never existed, but maybe I will”
And I cried as I realized,
dreams of summer are always too far away.

4 kommentarer:

void sa...

Jag tycker om de starka bilderna du målar upp och hur du bygger på stämningen mer och mer ända till slutet då BAM! en peripeti och allting kastas om. Det är en sorglig och vacker dikt och speciellt avlutningen med aforismen lämnar ett starkt intryck.

popapraniec sa...

Heh, reminds me of this. :3

Alex sa...

I really, really love this one! I love the imagery! There's background as well as details and it feels like such a happy, wonderful, exhilarating feeling and then there's the brutal awakening... it's just very, very good. It makes me think of happy colors, warmth, joy, falling in love and feeling free. There's a great longing here, easy to relate to, and it's very good ...wait, I've said that already, haven't it?

Lucidor sa...

Poems about illusive and irreachable love... hey, that's my genre!

I first want to mention the composition of the final lines of the first two stanzas, it's neat how they tie together with the first lines of each. Likewise how love-drunk silliness in the first stanza turns into drunkness and silliness in the second. Iteration always adds a lot to a poem for me.

Anti-climaxes are wonderful devices too, and this one sort of punches you in the gut. It's like waking up from a dream of beaches and sun only to be woken up by the rain pounding on your window.

And hell... who can't relate to the wonderful, excruciating hunt for love? Nice poem, well done.